Friday, October 31, 2008

Submitted my Fuqua and Darden Apps

This Monday I submitted the Duke application. The “leader of consequence” question was very challenging. I spent whole week thinking about it. The next tough essau was writing about a significant person, event or experience. Based on recommendation from a friend, I changed from significant experience to a significant person. Check out the questions at http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke_mba/daytime/apply_daytime/

After submitting Fuqua application on Monday afternoon, I switched gears to Darden. This year Darden essays are very short with a total of 1000 words for 3 essays. Answering the question ‘how I fit with case study method’ was a challenge. Darden’s application does not use ‘Embark’ or ‘ApplyYourself’. The questions in the application were very similar to Wharton with slight changes. I copy pasted most of the content from Wharton app. There were lots of room to explain job duties, extra-curricular activities and community services. But not much space for essays?. A surprise part of the app was a short 100 words essay that asked me to complete the sentence,
“I am a person who __________, with expertise in __________.” So be prepared for it.

The busy application month of October is over and I have submitted 6 apps. I had a target of 5. I am very happy after submitting 6 apps. Working on multiple apps at the same time definitely diluted the quality of the application, especially LBS. I rushed in the LBS app to make it to round 1. Though Darden was not originally on my list, I was impressed with Darden after listening to its podcast and learning about its strength in General Management. If you are considering Darden I recommend listening to the podcast and follow blog by Dean Bob Bruner.

The waiting starts… Now I have to sit tight and wait for interview/ding/accepted.

No comments: